Job Search 101: Creating Your Own Luck
March 17, 2018
Ever feel like things are going your way? Like traffic was unusually good, a bill was less than expected, gas prices were extra low on the day you chose to fill up or dessert was free on day you decided to go out for lunch? Don’t you want that feeling during your job search? You might actually have a little control on setting yourself up for a windfall of good luck landing your next and best job. Check out our Job Search Tips 101.
Thomas Jefferson once said, “I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.” So let’s get to it!
Essentials for setting the stage for your lucky day:
• Educate yourself on the company you are trying to get hired into. Research that they need, what their problems are and offer solutions. Find out what their culture is like and present yourself as the perfect fit. Check out these top ten ideas on how to be ready and full of the knowledge you need to set yourself up for the pot of gold.
• Prepare, prepare, prepare. Do all the things that you are supposed to do prior to an interview. Dress the part or a little better, and if you need some advice, check out our ten tips. Phone interviews typically happen first. Are you ready for one? Check out our list of ways you can rock that call.
• Set yourself up socially. Clean up your personal social media pages. Many employers look at your social media before they hire. Make sure your LinkedIn is up to date and you seize all opportunities to connect with people that may be helpful in your job search. Make sure your on-line presence is the best it can be.
• Make sure you are confident – need a boost? Practice smiling, learn something new, accept compliments, meditate, go for a walk, get some exercise, or anything that makes you feel good about you! Having trouble with self-motiving some confidence? Go see a friend that can provide you with a boost. Being confident, calm, cool and collected before an interview is one of the keys to your lucky day.
• Still feel like you need some good luck? Try some charms. Put a lucky penny in your pocket, go 4-leaf clover hunting, plant some bamboo or hang a horseshoe in your office. Maybe you need something a little more personal. Put a photo in your wallet, carry a small trinket that belongs to someone you care about, wear a piece of jewelry from someone special.
• Remember gratitude. We are all lucky in some way. We have things to be grateful for and things that we wish for too. Starting with gratitude can be the beginning of our luck.
Another great quote about luck is from Tennessee Williams, “Luck is believing you’re lucky.”
Williams got it right. It doesn’t take the luck of the Irish to be lucky, or any sort of charm. Believe you are lucky, preparing for your adventures and embracing the path will come together to deliver a successful job hunt.
Visit our current Brookdale Careers page and search for an employment opportunity in your area.Share this:
New Year’s Goal: New Job in 2018
December 28, 2017
It’s that time of year when people begin planning and setting goals for the new year. If your New Year’s Resolution involves finding a new job or making a move to your dream job, we’re here to help. We’ve combed the archives and put together our best (and most popular) blog posts that will help you achieve your new year’s goal, so let’s get ready and find that new job in 2018!
One of the foundations of a successful job search is still the resume. It’s often the first impression recruiters and companies have of you. Make sure yours is top-notch by checking out these resources for improving your resume:
Job Search Advice & Tips
Finding the right job for your next career move is both an art and a science. We’ve put together some of our best posts about implementing a successful job search. Read these posts to focus your search and find the right job for you:
Job Interview Tips
Once you have your resume flawless and you’ve kicked your job search into high gear, you’ll need to brush up on your interview skills when all those recruiters start calling to find out more about you. These blog posts will help you navigate the interview process with confidence:
Brush off and update that resume, get serious about your job search, practice your interview skills and go out and make your New Year’s Resolution of landing a new job come true. And while you are at it, search the many career opportunities available at Brookdale Senior Living Solutions.Share this: