Fall is upon us, schedules are getting busier and the holidays are right around the corner. It’s an easy time of year to lose focus in your job as well as on your goal of a new, satisfying and fulfilling job. Don’t let this time slip by you. Stay focused on your end goal while also continuing to excel in your current position with these five no-fail fall focus tips.
1. Get plenty of sleep. Feeling rested from a good night’s sleep is the key to having a successful, productive day. If you are having difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep or wake up tired, take time to identify ways to help you get a more restful night’s sleep.
2. Practice mindfulness and meditation. The moment you wake up, you probably are immediately thinking of your busy day ahead and everything that needs to be done. Taking just a couple moments in the morning before you even start your day to meditate, relax and focus. This is also beneficial throughout your day to boost your effectiveness and focus.
3. Don’t overwork. Take short breaks during the workday. Taking breaks allows you to step back from your work and evaluate if you are being productive. It also provides a break from a possibly boring or mundane task, ultimately refocusing you. Working longer hours and not taking breaks is not a good solution to checking off your punch list. You need breaks to give yourself time to stretch, breathe and focus.
4. Don’t let work interfere with your personal life. In today’s connected environment, it is nearly impossible to completely disengage from work. This makes it even more important for you to be mindful of your time and to enjoy your personal time without checking your email or bringing work home.
5. Eliminate distractions. This applies at work and home. At work, be mindful of the activities that distract you (non-work related emails, internet searches or daydreaming). You must eliminate the distractions to increase your productivity and keep you focused. When you are at home, if you are considering a job change, use this time wisely. After a long, busy day, you may just want to sit down for a few minutes and watch your favorite program or read a book. You can still do this but open up your laptop up while you are sitting there and take a few minutes to research possibly job opportunities. Need a new book to read? Look for a book that provides career direction, motivation and keys to finding your personal success. It is easy to get distracted – eliminate them, focus and you will be rewarded.Share this: